USG Corporation Manager, Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting in Chicago, Illinois
Company Overview * * USG, through our subsidiaries and joint ventures, is a leading manufacturer of building materials and innovative solutions that was originally formed in 1902. We produce a wide range of products for use in new residential, new nonresidential, and residential and nonresidential repair and remodel construction as well as products used in certain industrial processes. Through our joint venture Boral Limited, referred to as USG Boral Building Products, or UBBP, we expanded the manufacturing, selling and distribution of certain building products throughout Asia, Australasia and the Middle East. UBBP is a leader in most of the markets it serves.For additional information, visitwww.usg.com. * * Position Overview
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Technical Accounting and Financial Reporting, this position is responsible for all internal and external reporting and the review and evaluation of new and unusual transactions to ensure compliance with applicable accounting standards and company policies. This role will interact frequently with other accounting and finance departments, sourcing, legal, and manufacturing.
A focus on process improvement, teamwork, and delivering results will be critical.Specific responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Preparation and review of all quarterly and annual internal and external financial reportingand work closely with external auditors to ensure their completion of an efficient audit.
- Prepare USG’s consolidated statement of cash flowson a monthly basis.
- Review new and unusual transactions to ensure that they are recorded in compliance with applicable accounting standards and company policies. Document accounting treatment in whitepapers and manage the collection and organization of all accounting issue documentation.
- Assist with training on new accounting pronouncements and other matters within the Finance organization.
- Responsible for the monthly accounting, review and reporting of UBBP including preparation of reconciliations and for the identification, quantification and recording of differences between US GAAP and IFRS. This person will be the key liaison to UBBP for accounting and interpretation of significant transactions.
- Manage the accounting review for our asset retirement obligations (AROs) which includes overseeing accountants supporting this effort and working closely with our manufacturing, legal, environmental and technical service teams to ensure that all AROs are properly identified and accounted for.
- Participate in the review of both routine and non-routine contracts entered into by legal, sourcing, and other cross functional areas to provide guidance on the accounting consequences and/or assist in structuring agreements to predicable accounting outcomes.
- Actively participate in company employee engagement initiatives and provide regular coaching and feedback to staff related to technical and professional development.
- Assist with ad hoc projects assigned by senior management including IT enhancements for the financial and management reporting processes, analysis of business operations, proposed accounting treatment of unusual transactions or other accounting and finance related matters.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following: * 5 to 8 years of experience in finance and accounting is required, in roles of increasing complexity and responsibility; * Technical knowledge in accounting and internal control: must possess a high degree of technical knowledge of US GAAP and internal controls over financial reporting; * Ability to work in an environment with multiple concurrent deadlines * Excellent analytical and technical research skills and ability to make sound business decisions in complex and ambiguous business environments; * Unquestioned integrity, moral character, ethics and values -- one whom an organization can trust without reservation; * Strong verbal and written communication skills; * CPA certification and maintenance of continuing education requirements preferred; * Ability to drive change confidently, rapidly and effectively by influencing behavior, even in the absence of clear formal authority; * Experience with Oracle and Hyperion Financial Management preferred.
Leadership Competencies and Interpersonal Skills
This individual should be a self-starter who does not require constant assistance from their manager for direction. Our successful candidate will be broad-minded, with an openness to share information across functions. Other characteristics include: * An ambitious leader who wants to be challenged with roles of increasing responsibility and is excited about moving into different roles in the Company’s finance organization over his or her career; * A true team player – one who works well with others, can develop meaningful relationships both within and outside the Finance organization; * A commitment to the development of staff and others toward improved skills, independence and self-initiative; * Ability to influence and manage across indirect reporting lines and to implement and manage change throughout the organization; * Ability to earn trust and credibility within the organization; * Personal presence, confidence, and professional competence necessary to represent USG with the external and internal auditors; * Determined, innovative, with a strong work ethic. /EOE including disability/veteran/
Organization: *Corp-Technical Accounting-180-6
Title: Manager, Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting
Requisition ID: HQ 11369
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, transgender status, sexual identity, veteran status, genetic information or other criteria prohibited by law.