USG Corporation Senior Accountant, Consolidation in Chicago, Illinois
USG, through our subsidiaries and joint ventures, is a leading manufacturer of building materials and innovative solutions that was originally formed in 1902. We produce a wide range of products for use in new residential, new nonresidential, and residential and nonresidential repair and remodel construction as well as products used in certain industrial processes. Through our joint venture Boral Limited, referred to as USG Boral Building Products, or UBBP, we expanded the manufacturing, selling and distribution of certain building products throughout Asia, Australasia and the Middle East. UBBP is a leader in most of the markets it serves.For additional information, visitwww.usg.com.
Reporting to the Manager of Accounting and Consolidation, this position is responsible for supporting the accounting and reporting of USG Corporation’s consolidated financial results which include subsidiaries in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America and Europe with its joint ventures in Asia and Australia. This individual will also be responsible for ensuring that accounting and reporting policies are applied consistently and appropriately across the company.
A focus on process improvement, teamwork, and delivering results will be critical. Specific responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
* Collaborates and shares responsibility for the monthly close and consolidation process to prepare consolidated financial statements, which encompasses maintaining all accounting records, designing, implementing, and executing financial controls, and preparing financial reports for management.
* Analytically review monthly reported consolidated results against previous periods, plan and forecast to identify unusual activity and/or transactions.
* Responsible for the preparation of retirement benefit plan accounting to ensure compliance with applicable accounting standards and external reporting requirements.
* Responsible for maintenance and review of intercompany accounts to ensureappropriate elimination of intercompany transactions.
* Assist in preparation for monthly review meetings to discuss unusual transactions and review consolidated financial statements.
* Provide overall support by investigating accounting questions, issues and judgments and by partnering with team members from other business units to assist with accounting questions.
* Develop and implement accounting process change by analyzing current procedures and recommending changes. Take initiative to continually improve efficiency in accounting and reporting processes.
* Assist with ad hoc projects assigned by senior management including analysis of business operations, proposed accounting treatment of unusual transactions or other accounting and finance related matters. * Support the external auditors to assist in their completion of an efficient audit. * Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- 3 to 5 years of experiencein accounting is required, in roles of increasing complexity and responsibility;
- Strong knowledge of and ability to learn and apply technical accounting concepts in accordance with US GAAP, IFRS and internal controls over financial reporting;
- Solid academic credentials, CPA certification is preferred or must be working towards CPA certification;
- Strong analytical and technical research skills and ability to summarize conclusions and make recommendations to management;
- Unquestioned integrity, moral character, ethics and values -- one whom an organization can trust without reservation;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to drive change confidently, rapidly and effectively by influencing behavior, even in the absence of clear formal authority;
- Experience with Oracle and Hyperion Financial Management preferred.
Leadership Competencies and Interpersonal Skills
This individual should be a self-starter who does not require constant assistance from their manager for direction. Our successful candidate will be broad-minded, with an openness to share information across functions. Other characteristics include: * An emerging leader who wants to be challenged with roles of increasing responsibility and is excited about moving into different roles in the Company’s finance organization over his or her career; * A true team player – one who works well with others, can develop meaningful relationships both within and outside the Finance organization; * Ability to earn trust and credibility within the organization; * Personal presence, confidence, and professional competence necessary to represent USG with the external and internal auditors; * Determined, innovative, with a strong work ethic; * Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
/EOE including disability/veteran/
Organization: *Corp-Technical Accounting-180-6
Title: Senior Accountant, Consolidation
Requisition ID: HQ 11327
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, transgender status, sexual identity, veteran status, genetic information or other criteria prohibited by law.